I may be a day or two late but I’ve been held hostage by a bedridden husband suffering severe back pain. Still, I wanted to look at the highs and lows of 2013 and give a peek at what might be happening in 2014.
I began Found Between the Covers in February 2013, having decided I wanted to separate my books reviews out of my writing blog, Sherrey Meyer, Writer (formerly Healing by Writing). The process of writing and publishing a book seemed ill-suited to be combined with reviewing books within the same blog.
And Found Between the Covers was born. During the year, I’ve learned a great deal from many of you about book blogging and book reviewing. Lest I overlook anyone, I would like to say thanks to all who have supported me and encouraged me. Book bloggers are great people.
Top 10 Posts:
- A Southern Place by Elaine Drennon Little
- The Rebellion of Miss Lucy Ann Lobdell by William Klaber
- Meet a Tough Love Teacher in Strings Attached by Joanne Lipman and Melanie Kupchynsky
- Little House on the Prairie Books – a Collaboration Between Mother and Daughter?
- Impossible Odds by Jessica Buchanan and Erik Landemalm
- Two Hearts: An Adoptee’s Journey through Grief to Gratitude by Linda Hoye
- The Emotion Thesaurus — A Resource for Every Writer
- Betty’s Child by Donald R. Dempsey
- Phone Calls from Heaven? | Review of Mitch Albom’s The First Phone Call from Heaven
- Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon
Things I Learned:
- There’s a lot of record-keeping in reviewing books on a regular basis (enter Excel spreadsheet!).
- People never read your Review Policy *sighs here*.
- Attempting to write your own book and reading others’ works can be mind-boggling.
- Attempting to write your own book and reading others’ works is very educational and filled with the do’s and don’ts of correct grammar and the need to proofread carefully.
- I’m a good bit older than the rest of you *sighs again*.
- I love books too much! NEVER!
- Book bloggers are a great community!
- Continue to give quality reviews for all books.
- Closed to accepting more reviews as of December 3, 2013, and uncertain when I’ll reverse this.
- Several review requests from individual authors and publishers will be completed as promised.
- After realizing my following is not large enough to support giveaways, I will likely discontinue this practice.
- Attempt to be a better community member by reading more of your reviews and commenting.
- Consider closing Found Between the Covers down as soon as above-referenced reviews are completed.
The reasoning behind this last goal is two-fold:
- I have set a goal of finishing my manuscript in 2014, including two or more rounds of self-edits, obtaining a professional editor and proofreader, and preparing to shop my book to publishers. This entails focus on platform building, branding and marketing (A. LOT. OF. TIME!).
- In the year I’ve blogged here, my following hasn’t grown to a level I feel is fair to the writers, publishers and tour groups for whom I’m reviewing books.
A lot of thought will go into any decision to drop Found Between the Covers as it has fed my love of reading and desire to share the best of the books I read with others. However, there may be other avenues I haven’t yet discovered.
Thank again to those who have supported and encouraged me here.
- 2013 is History (sherreymeyer.com)
- My End-of-Year Survey Continued (cheapthrillsbookblog.wordpress.com)
- 2014 Bookish Aspirations (brilliantlynovel.wordpress.com)